TRICARE Young Adult
Eligibility for regular TRICARE plan options ends at age 21 or 23 — if a full-time student. After that, the TRICARE Young Adult (TYA) Program can be purchased.
The TRICARE Young Adult program, or TYA, is a special program for young adults that you can purchase. TYA is offered by US Family Health Plan. It is a TRICARE® Prime option.TYA is an individual healthcare plan, and you must pay monthly premiums. It provides full health insurance that includes medical and pharmacy benefits. It does not include dental coverage. With TYA, you can continue your TRICARE health care coverage. You are eligible for TYA as long as your sponsor remains eligible for TRICARE.
- Need more details? Click here for TYA FAQs.
- Enrollment is easy:
- Call Enrollment Department at 800-585-5883 option 1
- Enroll online through the TRICARE Beneficiary Web Enrollment (BWE) website
- Click here to download TYA Application.
- Check current premiums on the TRICARE web site.
Am I Eligible?
You are eligible to purchase TYA coverage if you are all of the following:
- A dependent of a TRICARE-eligible uniformed service sponsor
- Enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)
- At least age 21 but not yet 26
You are not eligible for TYA coverage:
- If you are enrolled in an employer-sponsored health plan based on your own employment
- If you are eligible for any other TRICARE program coverage
- If you are married
- TYA coverage will end on your 26th birthday
The Affordable Care Act, also known as the health care reform law, requires that individuals maintain health insurance or other coverage that meets the definition of “minimum essential
coverage” beginning in 2014. If purchased, TYA is considered minimum essential coverage.
The TYA Program with US Family Health Plan gives you first-class, quality health services:
- Civilian providers
- Modest copayments
- All your primary care in one place
- Complete coverage, with no deductibles or unexpected medical bills
- Small copayments for doctor’s visits and hospital stays
- No red tape, claim forms or unexpected costs
- Getting an urgent-care appointment on the same day you need it
- Seamless referrals to board-certified specialists
- Excellent prescription benefits. Free generic drugs by mail order
- 24-hour phone access to medical advice
- Worldwide emergency and urgent care
- No qualifying health questions to answer to enroll
- Discounts on fitness club memberships and weight loss programs
- Discounts on eyeglasses, vitamins and supplements, naturopathic care, massage therapy and much more